How to learn the Happiness Habit: Psycho-Cybernetics.
As taught in the book, Psycho-Cybernetics, our self-image and our habits tend to go together. Change one and you will automatically change the other.
The word “habit” originally meant a garment or clothing (think of a nun’s habit) and this gives us insight into the nature of a habit.
Our habits are literally clothes worn by our personalities.
We have them because they fit our attitudes, emotions, and beliefs. They tend to become habitual, automatically, at a young age.
Psycho-Cybernetics and Change of Attitude
To change our self image we need to outgrow our habits and grow into a new pattern.
We can do this by making a conscious decision, and then practicing it or “acting out” the new response or behavior.
It does require some constant watchfulness and practice until the new behavior pattern is thoroughly learned.
You might have an area of your life you are struggling with or feel stuck.
Any habitual thought you are thinking when charged with emotion becomes a powerful magnet to attract the thing you are thinking about into your life.
The following exercise will help you attract more of what you want into your life instead of the bad habit of allowing your emotions to attract more of what you don’t want
Try this exercise for 21 days to change your attitudes, beliefs and emotions in an area of your life? This Psycho-Cybernetics exercise will take you from your automatic learned response, to a higher level of energy and vibration.
Habitually, you put on either your right shoe first or your left shoe and you tie them a certain way. Tomorrow morning determine which shoe you put on first, and how you tie your shoes. Now consciously decide that for the next 21 days you are going to form a new habit by putting on the other shoe first and tying your shoe laces a different way. Now each morning as you decide to put on your shoes in a certain manner, let this simple act serve as a reminder to change other habitual ways of thinking, acting, and feeling throughout the day . Say to yourself as you tie your shoes “I am beginning the day in a new and better way”.
Then consciously decide throughout the day:
1. I will be as cheerful as possible. (look for things that bring you joy)
2. I will try to feel and act a little more friendly toward other people.
3. I am going to be a little less critical and a little more tolerant of other people and their faults, failings, and mistakes. I will place the best possible interpretation upon their actions.
4. Insofar as possible, I am going to act as if success were inevitable, and I already am the personality I want to be. I will practice “acting like” and “feeling like” this new personality.
5. I will not let my own opinion color facts in a pessimistic or negative way.
6. I will practice smiling at least three times a day.
7. Regardless of what happens, I will react as calmly and as intelligently as possible.
8. I will ignore completely and close my mind to all those pessimistic and negative “facts” which I can do nothing to change.
Print out these eight new behaviors and put them where you can see them at least once a day.
P.S. If you email me your mailing address to [email protected], I will send you a tiny (discreet for the guys) wishbone charm to put on your shoelace as a reminder.
P.S.S. If you haven’t already read it, I highly recommend you read the book, Psycho-Cybernetics.
Have a prosperous day!
By the way, please be free to check out our own Facebook Fan Page: Bren & Mike Prosperity Tips.